Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Billion 8800NL and Samknows WhiteBox  (Read 3070 times)

Oldjim

• Reg Member
Billion 8800NL and Samknows WhiteBox
« on: December 07, 2015, 02:18:24 PM »

A bit of history
My white box stopped reporting for no obvious reason - rebooting it several times didn't fix it so Samknows organised a return and supply of a new one

I plugged the new one in but after several days it still wasn't reporting despite showing up on the router DHCP table
After an exchange of emails with Samknows I tried a number of things including connecting/disconnecting from the router, changing the port on the router and powering down the router and restarting it - all to no avail
After powering down and restarting the router it connected to the broadband but wouldn't connect to Plusnet (I am on FTTC)
So I tried a reboot via the web interface keeping the same settings and the router connected to Plusnet almost immediately and surprise surprise the WhiteBox seems to be reporting properly (right hand LED is solid green
To hopefully stop it happening again I have given the box a fixed IP address

Is all this just a problem caused by the flaky DHCP system in the router or is there something more serious happening
Jim
Plusnet

Oldjim

• Reg Member
Re: Billion 8800NL and Samknows WhiteBox
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2015, 04:53:21 PM »

A new problem
This morning the XP computer wouldn't access the internet although it could see the other computer on the network
After trying all the usual fixes including rebooting the router, rebooting the computer, etc nothing helped
As a last resort I removed the fixed IP address allocated by the router and left it as dynamic
Rebooted the computer and all back to normal with the same IP address as was originally allocated as fixed

I am getting really cheesed off with the Billion - is an updated firmware going to help
I am one version behind at 2.32d
Jim
Plusnet

Oldjim

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2015, 04:38:54 PM »

Replacement White box stopped reporting again and after a lot of checking the problem is that the ARP Table is reporting the device as being incomplete
Removed the fixed DHCP address and rebooted the Whitebox which fixed the problem
Any explanation of why the ARP Table is screwing itself up with this router
Jim
Plusnet

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2015, 04:59:05 PM »

I have a Billion 8800NL, and a Samknows whitebox (mine is based on the TP-Link WDR3600).

I'm not seeing any problems with the whitebox being visible - logging happens perfectly normally, except that I get two totally different styles of download speed result. Sometimes I get results that consistently "tend" to one answer, while at other times I get results that flip-flip between two different speeds around 3Mbps apart. When the results swap from one style to the other - which can be months apart - it is probably when I resync or swap to a different Plusnet gateway.

However, I do get strange behaviour over WiFi ... to the point that I sometimes have to swap between different SSIDs to get things working (I have 2 separate AP's as well as the router's own WiFi). Sometimes it seems related to streaming multicast video, sometimes not.

This is beginning to get annoying, and I might have to do some swapping around when "the boss" doesn't need access to work over Christmas.

What's the best way to access the ARP table on the router?

Oldjim

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2015, 05:05:05 PM »

via the web interface then status
Jim
Plusnet

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2015, 11:51:01 AM »

Ta. Now to figure out how best to use it...

How do you normally specify your IP addresses? Pre-reserved in the DHCP setup in the billion, and requested using DHCP? Or using static definitions in each device?

anything