Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Time to "recycle" the old modem/routers?  (Read 9575 times)

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Time to "recycle" the old modem/routers?
« on: December 07, 2015, 09:39:11 AM »

Like many of us I have an ever-expanding collection of "it might be useful one day" equipment.
Looking at modem/routers I have the following that has all been dormant for years:
- a fair few Netgear DG834GT and DG834G(various versions) models which I am reluctant to scrap, many with DGTeam firmware.
- a couple of BT Voyager 210's and a TalkTalk SmartAX MT882, all non-wireless of course.
- A BT HomeHub 2.0 and HomeHub 3.

That's in addition to my "live" HH5 and spare/backup PlusNet TG582n. There's probably more stuff that isn't immediately in view!

So is any of it worth hanging on to for myself or to help others? If so, why? All thoughts welcome......  :cool:

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: Time to "recycle" the old modem/routers?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2015, 12:19:47 PM »

We are drastically downsizing on the VDSL modem front, as more ISP's introduce a combined modem/router. They are currenly like gold-dust for us to get hold of as engineers.

I'd maybe keep those for oneself.  :)

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2015, 03:52:12 PM »

That's a shame, I had one of those (an ECI model) but binned it a while back.  :-[

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2015, 06:47:53 PM »

A few comments...

First, in the same way as I'd not want to sell (or even give) a dodgy used car to a friend or relative, I'd also not give them an old router.  Reason is, based upon personal experience as well as anecdotal evidence from the web, I believe the most common failure mode of routers from this century is (aluminium electrolytic)  capacitor failure.   The cap's used in pretty much all home routers were cheap-as-chips and often left the factory with an expected service life measured in months not years.  As far as I understand, the failure process continues even when powered off and is accelerated by ambient temperature - I keep mine in the loft, where they get very hot indeed in summer.  :-[

As regards disposing of them, regardless whether given away or even recycled... if they have ever in the past been configured with your current WiFi credentials, and they fell into 'wrong hands', these credentials may still be recoverable regardless of any 'factory reset' or whatever.   For that reason I tend to 'batch' mine for disposal and then, when I have a clear-out, I take the hit and change my WiFi password, reconfiguring all connected devices. 

That said, negativity out of the way... I recently got a 'call for help' from an ageing Aunt, still on ADSL, with symptoms of a dodgy connection.  My best guess, on what she has told me so far, is that her router's faulty.   I therefor WILL probably dig out one of my old specimens, purely for the purposes of proving to her (and me) that a new router will fix things.  Once proven, I'll tell her I want mine back then she'll have to buy a new router.   But at least I'm glad I kept a couple back...   :)

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2015, 07:10:02 PM »

Yes, I intend to keep a spare or two in order to assist others; I'm more interested in whether any of the above have any particular merits for that or any other purpose.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2015, 07:56:29 PM »

I think my Mother-in-laws router has died, it'll probably be less painful to recycle the router that PN sent me when I changed to FTTC than to try and get a replacement out of them, after all it's only taking up space in my loft and I'm never likely to need it having other spares.

On the point of security , and retrieving passwords from old hardware, I recently sold a router which I just updated the firmware & factory reset prior to posting. Now if the guy wants to come all the way from Ireland on the off chance he's retrieved the correct password from the router then fair play to him!
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

kitzy

• Just arrived
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2015, 08:45:17 PM »

For DDWRT compatible routers, Ive re-purposed a few as repeaters for temporary WiFi extensions in the garden in summer months or to get WiFi to the neighbours when they have been without Or family members tend to get first dibs on hand-me-downs if there is room for them to upgrade.

Like you, I have a clearout once in a while and I always regret not ebay/freecylcing them sooner so someone can get some decent use out of them before they became completely defunct.

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2015, 09:52:23 PM »

Ive re-purposed a few as repeaters for temporary WiFi extensions in the garden in summer months
Yes, I've got a couple of my old Netgears configured for that (with DGTeam firmware).
(Though I now have some tiny little TP-link USB-powered "nano" routers that do all that and much more - TL-WR702N.)

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2015, 10:44:52 PM »

I believe the most common failure mode of routers from this century is (aluminium electrolytic)  capacitor failure.   The cap's used in pretty much all home routers were cheap-as-chips and often left the factory with an expected service life measured in months not years.

Once the circuit has been up and running for a few years if it has not died by then it may even live longer than the user.

It also could be a chinese consumer conspiracy to make you keep purchasing the same product which only has a half-life for example why buy a new product as the old one is working well.

TBH I think the new Chinese electronics are made to survive the 1 year warranty and then die.

jack21

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2015, 10:05:48 AM »

This sell/give-away/freecycle/bin issue has come to mind several times over the past years. I used to sell-on good/reasonable, tested kit, but gradually cut that out for all sorts of reasons. Nowadays I tend to simply scrap stuff I don't have a primary or secondary use for...........used/elderly but useable laptops/pc/modems/router/psu/power-adapters/harddrives/cables/software/components have simply been scrapped - much too much stuff tended to accumulate. But I've still got stuff that I don't have use for!

Would there  be advantage in having a place in this Forum for a centralised 'Kitty' (!!) of unwanted hardware/software etc which could be made available for free (except for the cost of postage, plus a small donation to the Kitz website). But with  something in place to stop misuse of the facility?

I'd certainly still have stuff to add to such a place.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 12:33:33 PM by jack21 »

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2015, 10:16:14 AM »

To simply bin perfectly usable stuff is just plain wrong, we throw away far too much these days. I've given stuff away to local schools, free cycle, sold it for next to nothing on Ebay, or as a last resort old cables/metal goes in the scrap metal bin and electronics disposed of at the local tip.

Agreed it does accumulate,  but every so often I'll have a sort out and try to be responsible with what happens to it, the last place I want it to end up is as land fill!

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2015, 10:41:39 AM »

as a last resort old cables/metal goes in the scrap metal bin and electronics disposed of at the local tip.
Realistically I can't see any use for any of the kit I listed and no-one has any really good ideas, so it will almost certainly be scrapped.
Freegle/Freecycle has loads of this in my area and it's never taken.  :no:

I always dismantle it first, putting recyclable plastics in the correct bin and electronics (if possible) to the correct section at my local tip - usually I build up a bag of that stuff ready for when I next go by, it's a couple of miles away and doesn't merit a special journey..

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2015, 01:30:18 PM »

Then you're doing all you can and disposing of it responsibly,  my comments were directed towards Jack21 who implied he just binned it, but I see he has now edited the post to say scrapped.

jack21

• Reg Member
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2015, 02:01:00 PM »

Yes, scrapped indeed - usually in a bag left at local scrapyard, for what they can salvage.

I did try donating/gifting such kit, but didn't usually succeed, and the odd occasion with a donated laptop resulted in more 'help' calls than I wanted!

I've hung on to a number of my favourite ADSL moden/routers in case a need arose - but it hasn't; most people are now moving to fibre in my area. Similarly I've got lots of old Windows media and keys; I can't image doing owt useful with them. Also a couple of old laptops sitting idle and unwanted - useable, but not worth the trouble/hassle of advertising/selling/posting/supporting  for £25.

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2015, 02:09:21 PM »

Funnily enough I've managed to move all my old laptops on and some really were antiques.  :o

They've largely gone to people with specific needs to run old/small software. e.g. I know of two that have gone to control telescopes and others that are used for music/midi software.
One more has gone to run car diagnostics software - remember a 15 or 20-year-old car is nothing that unusual but a 20yo laptop is something you would barely recognise!
Pages: [1] 2

anything