Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: How to install DSLstats on a Raspberry Pi  (Read 7418 times)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
How to install DSLstats on a Raspberry Pi
« on: November 10, 2015, 08:15:10 AM »

I've been asked by a member to provide an simple guide to installing DSLstats on a RPi for Linux novices. I hope this does the job:

1. Install Raspbian on the RPi and make sure that it boots to the desktop (at the time of writing this is the default with the latest version of NOOBS, which is the easiest way to install it).

2. Open the browser (Epiphany) using the icon at the top of the screen.

3. Point the browser at www.s446074245.websitehome.co.uk/downloads

4. Click on the RPi version which you want to use. I chose the pre-release version 5.6.2. This opens the archiver application.

5. Select Action --> Extract. Don't change anything in the popup dialog, just click "Extract". This extracts the files inside a folder to the Downloads directory. Close the browser.

6. Open the terminal (icon at the top of the screen). It opens in your home directory /home/pi.

7. Type the following commands (please note that Linux commands and filenames are case sensitive, so type the commands exactly as shown):

Code: [Select]
cd Downloads/dslstats32RPi-5.6.2/   (if you downloaded a different version, change the last part accordingly)
./dslstats

DSLstats should now run. You can ignore the warnings referring to duplicate resources, which are harmless. Configure DSLstats as required.

In future you can run DSLstats by repeating steps 6 and 7.
Alternatively you can open the file manager (icon at the top of the screen) which opens in your home directory /home/pi. Double-click on Downloads, then double-click on dslstats32RPi-5.6.2. Double-click on the file "dslstats". A dialog pops up asking you if you want to execute the program - click on "Execute".
  Eric

BritBrat

• Kitizen
Re: How to install DSLstats on a Raspberry Pi
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2015, 08:46:07 AM »

Thanks, I will give it a try later.

EDIT:

That was easy, it is when you know how. :)
« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 07:33:16 PM by BritBrat »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2015, 10:33:46 AM »

Excellent :)
  Eric

daveesh1

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2015, 05:58:28 PM »

Just got me PI up and running with DSLStats on it how do you auto run on DSLSTATS on  startup as this will be running headless

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2015, 07:21:25 PM »

There's a discussion of this and associated subjects here: http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,15882.0.html

The desktop entry method works, but you may need to introduce a delay as discussed, to give the network time to initialise before DSLstats runs. DSLstats includes an option to start recording as soon as the program runs. The Raspberry Pi must be configured to boot directly into the desktop.
  Eric

daveesh1

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2015, 07:24:35 PM »

Thanks Eric. That's what I have followed but it will not start up on a reboot

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2015, 11:37:07 PM »

Nice one.  :)

This link may be of some use.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/raspbian/
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

daveesh1

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2015, 01:00:53 AM »

Cheers I will address it again in the morning

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2016, 05:24:16 PM »

I can also see how daveesh1 is having this issue using headless mode via say Putty this is what i get using cd Downloads/dslstats32RPi-5.6
./dslstats

Normally I use the RPi GUI on a different monitor to run DSLstats but doing it in headless mode is hard.

Using putty it's all setup for RPi just put username & password in then type startx then type cd Downloads/dslstats32RPi-5.6 and then type ./dslstats does not work for me.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 05:44:45 PM by NewtronStar »

krypton

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2016, 07:43:26 PM »

It is very easy to use dslstats on a headless raspberry.
I only installed "xrdp" on the raspberry and use the windows remote desktop connection to display the screen. Dslstats doesn't automatically start during boot but once it is manually started on the remote desktop is keeps running and uploading to mdws until the next power outage or reboot.

kitzuser87430

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2016, 07:51:43 PM »

There are two different "terms" headless and GUIless.

Headless....without screen,keyboard and mouse etc.

GUIless.....without an installed GUI.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2016, 08:13:40 PM »

but once it is manually started on the remote desktop is keeps running and uploading to mdws until the next power outage or reboot.

Yes I can do that from putty using the startlxde command this will bring up the RPI desktop GUI on a remote computer and then from here you can execute dslstats.

What i think we are trying to do is just use the remote CLI interface and execute dslstats without needing to access the remote RPi Desktop  :-\

anything