Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Simple FTTC Bonding  (Read 4468 times)

jchannon

• Just arrived
Simple FTTC Bonding
« on: October 17, 2015, 02:36:31 PM »

Hi,

I saw a post on here a few weeks ago where someone wanted bonded FTTC but with a block of IPs for a hosted server at his house.  My requirements are simple. I literally just want to double my download/upload with 2 lines.  I have only come across AAISP that seem to offer this but the prices are way over my budget for a monthly rental.  Are there any other ISPs that offer this? Someone mentioned that a Linux box could make this happen but I didn't see any more info on it so not sure if that is another option?

Thanks

loonylion

• Reg Member
Re: Simple FTTC Bonding
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2015, 05:19:42 PM »

A linux box would be able to load balance (some traffic on one line and some on the other) it wouldn't be able to do true bonding because that would also require equipment at the remote end. For example you would be able to download two files at once at maximum speed (one on each line), but a single file would only download at the maximum speed of one line.

mrpops2ko

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2015, 05:35:54 PM »

http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,16246.0.html

theres the thread, all the information is relevant, just read through some of those posts.

Cheapest way to do it is through a 3rd party router. It might be getting old now, but the ASUS N66U or whatever model it is that I have, is like £30 now.

Flash it with OpenWRT or DD-WRT or merlin and off you go. You'll end up having 2 IPs though.

If you have any questions after reading that thread I can give you a heads up on stuff.

jchannon

• Just arrived
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2015, 12:03:19 PM »

Yeah I that was the post I was talking about. @mrpops2ko are you also recommending what @loonylion is suggesting?

Only other option is Sharedband but looking at twitter they dont seem to reliable

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2015, 01:03:21 PM »

Have you already considered cheap hosting companies?

jchannon

• Just arrived
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2015, 01:07:39 PM »

Have you already considered cheap hosting companies?

How do you mean? I don't want to host anything, I just want twice the speed internet for my home office

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2015, 01:12:59 PM »

Simple per-packet load balancing across multiple connections as described using a router would do what you want.

But be aware that some sites you connect to don't like your IP changing during a download and so have to be configured to fail-over rather than load-balance.

jchannon

• Just arrived
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2015, 01:14:53 PM »

Yeah but I want max throughput on download not max throughput of 1 line.

As far as I can tell AAIPS and Shareband are the only ones??

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2015, 01:39:25 PM »

Per-packet load balancing will give you max throughput of 2 lines combined as long as the site you connect to allows this.

As regards AAISP and Sharedband they both offer bonding, although AAISP is true bonding whereas Sharedband is VPN bonding https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIeXAqdbpzI

jchannon

• Just arrived
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2015, 01:43:35 PM »

So you're saying if I download a file from a site that supports it I would get 160 down not 80?  Does the same apply to torrents when I download my educational conference material?

mrpops2ko

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2015, 01:46:40 PM »

yes I am suggesting what loonylion is suggesting. You can do it with quite a few things that run linux though, you don't need a dedicated pc to do it. Quite a few 3rd party routers run some form of linux. So it would be nothing more than that.

Like I said, read the thread and all the posts I made there and the links I linked to, i'll gladly follow up with any questions you have. It is pretty simple, you'll get double download / upload speed most of the time. Sometimes it requires trying to multi segement single file downloads (through say a download manager or segmented ftp client) in order to double your speed.

Like I mentioned there, it'll be a round robin and socket based, so if its a single socket connection then it wont double up unless you segment it.

If you go on a website with like 300 images, it'll load 150 on one connection and 150 on another. It depends upon the site though and generally you set up stuff so that it doesn't break https, or else you can get funky website browsing issues.

With torrents it works perfectly, you'll see double on both upload and download (because torrents by their nature are multiple connections / sockets)

I wouldn't suggest doing it on a per packet basis. round robin through connections works much better from what i've played around with.

haha dray you linked a houkouonchi video. That guy was great, used to chat with him on irc. Did you know he passed away recently? (like feb this year) he was this guy http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2013/05/fios-customer-discovers-the-limits-of-unlimited-data-77-tb-in-month/

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2015, 01:57:06 PM »

No, I didn't know him but sorry to hear he's passed away.

xS9

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2015, 02:15:23 PM »

If you want to do it properly..... look at this

http://simonmott.co.uk/vpn-bonding

You essentially load balance at a packet level, reconstruct/deconstruct at either end, obviously with a lovely fat datacentre pipe at the other.

jchannon

• Just arrived
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2015, 02:38:33 PM »

I did look at that but half way down got completed confused  :)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2015, 09:26:49 AM »

Sounds like the VPN bonding system described there is perfect, but it will need to have CPU time available to handle any possible VPN encapsulation (and the reverse) times n pipes, so be generous with processors if the pipes are very fast.

The architecture is just the same as Andrews and Arnold's system, but the AA system is a "null" VPN if you like, just straight IP, so introduces no overhead, no encapsulation so, no double headers or encryption as in a typical VPN.