Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Accessing unlocked Huawei HG612 through DLink DIR-868L  (Read 4359 times)

dchhui

• Just arrived
Accessing unlocked Huawei HG612 through DLink DIR-868L
« on: October 10, 2015, 12:51:07 PM »

Is there anyway to access the web interface of an unlocked HG612 from behind a connected router, specifically a DLink DIR-868L? The HG612 has a LAN IP of 192.168.2.1, the DLink 192.168.1.x range. So far the only way I've been able to access the modem is either connect a laptop to the LAN2 port, not always convenient as it is downstairs at the master socket, or temporarily set the DLink router to have a static WAN IP address which is in the 192.168.2.x range that allows me access to the modem but stops me accessing the rest of the internet. Any ideas on how to get around this? The router does have options for static routing but I have never been able to figure out how to get that to work.

dambuilder

Re: Accessing unlocked Huawei HG612 through DLink DIR-868L
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2015, 01:09:36 PM »

Yes I did it by first connecting the HG612 directly to my computer and changing it's static IP to 192.168.1.200. Then by permanently having LAN2 (the WAN port of router connected to LAN1 of HG612 of course) connected via Ethernet to my ASUS Router (192.168.1.1) I can access the GUI from anywhere on my network.

Hope that makes sense?

dchhui

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2015, 01:15:39 PM »

It does however this unfortunately is not an option for me. The router is located upstairs and to avoid a long trail of Ethernet cables I have used a pair of homeplug adapters (Soliwise 500AV Piggy Premiums) to connect the modem to the router. Moving said router downstairs is not preferable as signal strength in both 2.4GHz and 5GHz ranges deteriorates for any device upstairs where most internet usage takes place. Any other ideas or will I just need to put up and shut up?

dambuilder

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2015, 01:22:06 PM »

Ah I see.

Now this is probably a VERY dumb thing to say (so apologies in advance) and I have no experience of homeplug adaptors but can't you just double them up? ie Have one set running the WAN connection and another running the LAN2 connection?

dchhui

• Just arrived
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2015, 01:28:59 PM »

I have no idea. It may be possible but I do not have another pair of homeplugs to try out. For reference, the model of homeplugs I'm using only has 1 Ethernet port for connectivity on each unit. There are more expensive homeplugs such as Solwise's own 1200AV model which does have a pair of Ethernet ports on each unit but they are a bit too pricey for my liking.

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2015, 01:35:09 PM »

Home plug is not ideal for that connection. It may be better to extend the phone line so the modem can be next to the router.

dchhui

• Just arrived
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2015, 01:47:03 PM »

Home plug is not ideal for that connection. It may be better to extend the phone line so the modem can be next to the router.
I appreciate what you are saying, but again that is not an option here otherwise it would've already been done. Having said that, I may toy with wiring an extension into the IDC terminals on the back of the master as a last resort if I have to. For the record, I've not had problems with these particular homeplugs. Any speed loss is negligible from my testing.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2015, 06:20:57 PM »

If this is any use to you, BT Openreach can do a "change point of entry" so that the master socket is where you really want it. I did this and was delighted with the result, the master socket was moved from the kitchen to the office upstairs, losing a lot of cable length too.

If you decide to go this way, get BT to route the cable around the outside of the building, not inside. (They might want to do this anyway.) You're paying for the work so they'll do it your way. 

dchhui

• Just arrived
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2015, 10:11:36 PM »

Would this not incur a hefty charge as the FTTC installation has already been done some time ago and for OR to come out and move the master would require another visit from them? Regardless this is probably out of the question as the connection is in my parents home and they would probably not appreciate or tolerate any further wiring being installed or trailed about or master sockets moved for that matter. I apologise if this was not mentioned before but I didn't realise that my question would trigger further discussion when I was looking for a simple yes or no answer on if the original problem could be solved easily. So far it is looking like a highly possibly "no" unless I make some significant changes that might not be possible at this current moment in time.

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2015, 11:05:08 PM »

The suggestion of a couple of additional homeplugs should be a quick fix.

Is this FTTC or ADSL anyway?

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2015, 11:23:14 PM »

@Weaver
I asked the OR engineer to re-route the drop cable when I got FTTC installed.
I routed the cable externally to follow existing external grade ethernet cable.
It worked very well and was quicker/easier than routing cable internally, so the OR engineer was happy to do it.

dchhui

• Just arrived
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2015, 11:41:31 PM »

The suggestion of a couple of additional homeplugs should be a quick fix.

Is this FTTC or ADSL anyway?

FTTC.