Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Bonded FTTC and options?  (Read 15062 times)

mrpops2ko

Re: Bonded FTTC and options?
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2015, 07:50:14 AM »

@Ixel

I was looking into setting up a round robin dual wan and tons of 3rd party routers with appropriate software support it. OpenWRT / DD-WRT both support it. Any basic linux machine could support it. I remember you had an asus router, so why not just throw one of those on it?

if you are having multiple people connect to you, then the round robin fashion of load balancing really isn't an issue. Sure if you are only using a single socket connect (like loading a single website or downloading a single file) then you won't notice a speed increase, but if you download multiple files or use some kind of download manager, it'd aggregate the speed perfectly. No expensive solutions necessary.

i'll throw these links out if you want to have a gander.
http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/uci/multiwan
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Dual,_Triple_(and_probably_quad)_WAN_with_multiple_active_WAN_links_and_source_routing

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2015, 09:32:11 AM »

@Ixel

I was looking into setting up a round robin dual wan and tons of 3rd party routers with appropriate software support it. OpenWRT / DD-WRT both support it. Any basic linux machine could support it. I remember you had an asus router, so why not just throw one of those on it?

if you are having multiple people connect to you, then the round robin fashion of load balancing really isn't an issue. Sure if you are only using a single socket connect (like loading a single website or downloading a single file) then you won't notice a speed increase, but if you download multiple files or use some kind of download manager, it'd aggregate the speed perfectly. No expensive solutions necessary.

i'll throw these links out if you want to have a gander.
http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/uci/multiwan
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Dual,_Triple_(and_probably_quad)_WAN_with_multiple_active_WAN_links_and_source_routing

A great idea but unfortunately I want aggregate upload specifically as I run a home server, load balancing won't help with that :(. Thanks for the idea though.

That should be possible and if you have an Openreach technician on the day, I would be surprised if it was refused.

Just wondering . . . Is it an aerial or underground service feed at your new property? If aerial, I would suspect that the job could be done by diverting the service feed as it wends its way to the ground floor.  :-\

I see. It's an overhead drop wire.

The Engineer should put the Socket where you want it.
I had the new socket moved upstairs to the Bedroom I use as my Study with no problems.
The Engineer was a BT OR man and not from one of the contractors.  ;D ;D

You may need the Tea/Biscuits if you draw a short straw, if you know what I mean  :D :D ;)

Black Sheep will be able to say what the official line is for this.
What you get will probably depend on what the ISP is paying OR for, at the end of the day !!

I see, that sounds promising then (subject to whether I get an actual BT engineer or a subcontractor ::) - I hope it's an actual BT engineer for a new line installation). I'm used to the coffee/tea and biscuits routine :P, have done it many times before ;). While I don't know what Zen exactly paid to Openreach, all I know is they've requested the following:
- Managed FTTC install instead of a self install
- New line installation so there's a second line (as the current one is apparently 'active' without a scheduled stop date and isn't on BT's equipment), usually costing £130 I think they said, instead they charged me something like £70 I think it was (without checking the invoice for the exact amount)
- Simultaneous provide of both phone and FTTC

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2015, 09:53:48 AM »

A great idea but unfortunately I want aggregate upload specifically as I run a home server, load balancing won't help with that :(.

Er, yes it will. Per-packet load balancing will send every other packet up the other pipe.

mrpops2ko

« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2015, 10:46:52 AM »

You will be able to aggregate your upload and download speeds. It just depends on how you do it, you can do it on a per packet basis but that isn't as easy to setup as the per connection round robin. [I think you'd need to set up pfsense?]

the least hassle way (and for cheaps) would be the way I mentioned. So lets say 10 people access your home server concurrently (or they make 10 connections) then 5 goes to one modem and 5 to the other, you'll receive aggregate upload and download.

The only scenario where you won't receive aggregate is if say 1 person makes 1 TCP connection. Then the max they'd receive would be the speed of a single connection (so 20mbps). If that person made 2 connections, through say using a download manager or segmented it through any other means, then the load could be split. So one person could receive the full 40 mbps.

I wouldn't be so quick to rule it out, you could even do it with zen or any other provider. It isn't anything special, all just basic hardware. 

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2015, 11:43:49 AM »

Oh I see, I didn't imagine this was possible with using a single IP for the server from a routed block of IP's supplied by Zen for one of the lines. Reason I say that is because the second line will likely not be able to share the same set of IP's as the first line has, so how would it effectively load balance the upload? Sorry if I'm mis-understanding something here, I appreciate the input and feedback :). Thanks.

« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2015, 12:00:25 PM »

You're not misunderstanding anything Ixel, the previous posters are :)

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2015, 12:34:44 PM »

How do you think Sharedband works - magic?

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2015, 01:55:19 PM »

Oh I see, I didn't imagine this was possible with using a single IP for the server from a routed block of IP's supplied by Zen for one of the lines. Reason I say that is because the second line will likely not be able to share the same set of IP's as the first line has, so how would it effectively load balance the upload?
Basically, half of the packets from your server would originate from one IP address and half would originate from another IP address. But the destination would be the same.

mrpops2ko

« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2015, 02:11:36 PM »

No you are correct Ixel, you'd not be sending both connections traffic through a single IP. You'd be allocated 2 different IPs (completely different, probably would want to scrap that block you got), then you'd use some round robin dynamic dns to give out the download links (your modem ips).

if you mention more about how your setup / usage, i can maybe go into more detail. If you are hosting an ftp server, it'd just be a case of binding the ftp to both ips. If it was distribution through your own cloud service like those bittorrent sync or torrent distribution, it'd handle pretty much all of that by itself.

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2015, 01:42:43 PM »

No you are correct Ixel, you'd not be sending both connections traffic through a single IP. You'd be allocated 2 different IPs (completely different, probably would want to scrap that block you got), then you'd use some round robin dynamic dns to give out the download links (your modem ips).

if you mention more about how your setup / usage, i can maybe go into more detail. If you are hosting an ftp server, it'd just be a case of binding the ftp to both ips. If it was distribution through your own cloud service like those bittorrent sync or torrent distribution, it'd handle pretty much all of that by itself.

I see.

Well, I currently run an asterisk server, a web server, a mail server, torrent (rarely) and a Garry's Mod server.

My plan at the moment is to see how the 'second' line performs when it's live. If the speed isn't what I'd hope then I'll sort out the original first line for a second FTTC service to be on that (probably through a different ISP for some resilience, such as Pulse8) and perhaps try Sharedband and see how that works out.

mrpops2ko

« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2015, 04:00:50 PM »

Pretty sure all of those would work fine using the scenario i've outlined above. Maybe not the gmod server but that'd be just a case of binding it to a single ip. Everything else could load balance perfectly.

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2015, 04:39:11 PM »

TBH I think the GMOD server is the whole point. What makes you think it wouldn't load balance?

mrpops2ko

« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2015, 04:53:46 PM »

I don't know i've had very little experience with gmod as a whole. I've just hosted a few game servers before that had issues with multiple ip binding, it'll probably work fine because valve are usually quite good with stuff like that but i'd do my own independent google-fu checking.

through some first page googling of garry's mod ddns, it seems to support it so everything should be fine.

« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2015, 07:41:04 PM »

Someone has just reminded me Ixel that the Firebricks sit at both ends of an AAISP connection for aggregation - thats how they aggregate it to a single IP address via two backhauls for others who really aren't getting this.

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2015, 07:45:29 PM »

That's very similat to the VPN bonding that Sharedband use, that you can do yourself http://simonmott.co.uk/vpn-bonding
Pages: 1 [2] 3

anything