Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Questions regarding ZyXEL VMG8924-B10a  (Read 9826 times)

Daxziz

• Just arrived
Questions regarding ZyXEL VMG8924-B10a
« on: August 13, 2015, 11:52:13 AM »

Hi everybody

I've just purchased a new ZyXEL VMG-8924-B10a router for my personal home network.
However I've had a few weird things happen with it, which I hope some of you can shed some light on.

I went to ZyXELs homepage and downloaded the latest firmware which I of course installed afterwards. What bugged me was that I lost the "LAN VLAN" functionality.
I went back to the original firmware and the feature is there again.
Did I get a wrong firmware or can any of you point me to a link of why it's removed in the newer versions?

One of the main reasons I bought this router was due to the VLAN support but on the other hand I don't want to be stuck on a approx. 2 year old firmware which I can't upgrade due to this feature being scrapped from the later released versions.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: Questions regarding ZyXEL VMG8924-B10a
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2015, 11:56:21 AM »

a. bug
b. refund

Thats a real pain, my sympathies. Perhaps they screwed up the filenames or locations on their uploads to their website. Speak to them first.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2015, 11:58:30 AM »

Hopefully you can downgrade asap?

Daxziz

• Just arrived
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2015, 02:45:13 PM »

I've successfully downgraded the unit and the functionality was present again under "Home Networking".
However I simply can't find anywhere in the changelogs where it states that they removed this functionality from later firmware versions. This is also why I'm seeking somebody here who can confirm or deny my issue here.

Also when I'm looking at ZyXELs homepage I get 3 versions of the firmware, but when I look at the FTP site there's quite a lot. Would it be "safe" to just install the latest one that I can find?

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2015, 04:11:55 PM »

On my VMG8924-B10A I run the 10C0 firmware and under Network Settings there is a VLan Group setting which when configured should allow the rest to be set up. For the latest f/w see ftp://certified:zyxel@ftp.zyxel.it/firmware/VMG8924/ for downloads, the 11b2 is a beta f/w but others here have used it.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

npr

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2015, 06:22:23 PM »

I'm using firmware 11b2 and that contains "Vlan group" in the network settings menu.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2015, 06:33:16 PM »

No need to go near beta software, unless of course you're not a beta tester.  As I'm sure your already know, asking for trouble unless one sticks to the proper meaning of beta, which means bug-ridden. Always has. Until the cynical started misusing it to mean “marketing is forcing us to release it but its crap or we can't be bothered to test it so we'll just let the users find all the bugs”.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2015, 06:36:35 PM »

Would be a kindness to report the bug.
Might be something config-dependent, a real bug.

Daxziz

• Just arrived
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2015, 09:43:17 PM »

Hi all

Sorry for the delay since my last post.
Sadly I haven't been able to find the settings which you refer to, in the newer firmware versions.
I've uploaded a screenshot from my routers config. Can any of you confirm or deny that it's identic to yours?

PhilipD

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2015, 09:53:19 PM »

Hi

You are missing 2 options.

Try logging in to the router again and doing a Control + F5 to refresh the page, you might simply be using older cached files to display the menu settings.

On mine that list shows: Broadband, Wireless, Home Networking, Routing, QoS, NAT, DNS, IGMP/MLD, Vlan Group, Interface Group, USB Service, Power Management

Regards

Phil

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2015, 10:15:40 PM »

Also go to the Connection Status screen and click on Status (RH Side) this should show the installed f/w please upload a screen shot of that.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

Daxziz

• Just arrived
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2015, 10:28:04 PM »

Tried force reloading the web site and even tried a few different firmwares.
Currently I'm running at the latest one available from the danish zyxel web site. Still this haven't made any difference at all.

Here's the screenshot from the status page with the current firmware. Remember that this made no difference what so ever with the amount of available options at the network page.

Also keep in mind, that the original firmware gave me the "VLAN LAN" functionality, so the router did indeed have this option before.

« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 10:30:58 PM by Daxziz »

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2015, 01:31:57 AM »

It may be because the WAN Configuration Edit Screen is set to not active:

Worth checking!

PhilipD

• Reg Member
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2015, 06:52:57 AM »

Hi

Have you tried a factory reset of the configuration back to default settings?

Also version 7 was a little odd in that there are different versions of version 7, one with a nasty bug that causes it to crash fairly often.  Have you tried the beta 11b2 firmware?

Regards

Phil

Daxziz

• Just arrived
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2015, 08:18:38 AM »

Wouldn't VLAN in the WAN config screen be for ISP's who assign customers their own VLAN which you then need to match on your WAN port before you get traffic on that port?
Pages: [1] 2