Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 26

Author Topic: OpenWrt (Chaos Calmer r46559) for ECI/r v1 & v2 - Update: G.INP/ReTX Support  (Read 269522 times)

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP

once this openwrt version is on the ECI can further flashes be done normally over Ethernet? e.g. if you do updates.

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen

I'm guessing the ECI /r didn't stabilize on your line then? :(

Sync speed is still lower than the 8800NL unfortunately :(

I've got another one coming anyway so I really don't need two!

jsamuel

• Reg Member

once this openwrt version is on the ECI can further flashes be done normally over Ethernet? e.g. if you do updates.

From OpenWrt's wiki:

Bootloader contains TFTP server

The basic procedure of using a tftp client to upload a new firmware to your router:

Unplug the power to your router
Plug the Ethernet connection from your computer (acting as tftp client) into a LAN port on your model. See your model's OpenWRT wiki for details on which port to use
Start your tftp client on your computer
Give it the router's address (specific to model and bootloader, see your model's wiki page)
Set mode to octet/binary
Tell the client to resend the file until it succeeds
"put" the file
Plug-in your router while having the tftp client running and constantly probing for a connection
The tftp client will receive an ack from the bootloader and starts sending the firmware

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP

ok so ethernet works, but still seems a messy process, other firmwares you can just update from the gui normally.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk

All techno-kittehs will whole-heartedly second that "thank you" to jsamuel:thumbs:  :drink:

[Request to our leader, Kitz: Could this thread be granted "sticky" status, please?]

Done :)
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

jsamuel

• Reg Member

I'm glad I could be of some help :)

I'm currently dabbling around with RRDTool, a program that runs on the modem end. Data to make the graphs can be pulled from "data sets" stored from a file, a file which cronjob runs commands into /tmp/pipe/dsl_cpe0_cmd, and then grepping /tmp/pipe/dsl_cpe0_ack into the file every 5 seconds or so. With 500kb to spare, there's enough room to log stats and graphs for atleast a year. I can also utilize the ECI /r's spare 16MB of ram to its full potential. This will be done with perl.
We can make pretty graphs like this.

which can then be viewed from the LuCI frontend.

I'll follow up with updates and of course share my work.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2015, 02:58:32 AM by jsamuel »

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen

That looks really promising - excellent work! :D

phi2008

• Reg Member

This will be done with perl.

Into each life some rain must fall ...  ;)

jsamuel

• Reg Member

This will be done with perl.

Into each life some rain must fall ...  ;)

:lol:

currytop

• Reg Member

I've read this thread with interest and decided to try the openwrt prepared by jsamuel - thanks! Like many others with an ECI on a Huawei cabinet I suffered when G.INP was enabled and bought a HG612 off Ebay which fixed the very high latency with the ECI. But it would be good to have the ECI as a functional backup with G.INP enabled.

I tried the /etc/config/network changes suggested in post #76 but don't think they'll work. At least not for me. The modem isn't connected to the VDSL line which make make a difference. Although the ipaddress is correctly assigned to eth0 after reboot, no traffic flows when pinging a local address. I can also change the config interface 'lan' to reference eth0 instead of eth1 and then assign an ip address. Both correctly assign an address to eth0 after boot but neither work until removing eth0 from the wan bridge and re-adding it.

If you simply remove eth0 from the modem wan bridge interface
Code: [Select]
brctl delif br-wan_bridge eth0

and then add it again
Code: [Select]
brctl addif br-wan_bridge eth0
it still doesn't work. But if you ping a local address in between adding and removing then it does - strange!

I wanted to do this so I could access the administrative interface on the modem from a single interface, for logging via the PPPOE router which has a masquerading rule configured to allow it. Although I can get the modem config to work from the command line, I haven't got it to survive a reboot.

Steve

jsamuel

• Reg Member

Hi :) Sorry for the few updates lately, I've had a big case of flu these past few weeks and it's been really hard to concentrate. (boohoo) :(

I've fixed a few more things in lantiq_dsl.sh
The most annoying one was our dsl_cpe0_* pipe getting "locked up" when LuCI's status page ("lucistat") and "status" were running simultaneously.
This would cause the status page to stop working, and effectively stop us from grabbing data for graphs.
The simple fix to this was changing lucistat to use its own pipe, it now uses /tmp/pipe/dsl_cpe1_* where as all the rest use /tmp/pipe/dsl_cpe0_*

I also tinkered with LuCI's status page some more.

opkg feeds have been updated to only use packages compiled for the current firmware build so packages aren't accidentally broken. OpenWrt's trunk is updated all the time.

For those of you who already have the image and don't want to reflash for a few file changes, SSH into your modem and run this simple script.
   wget http://vanquishsolutions.co.uk/openwrt/VG3503J/update.sh && chmod +x update.sh && ./update.sh
This will apply the new above and below changes and tell you what files have changed.

Graphing situation
I figured it would be pointless having graphs on the modem itself, since they will be gone after a reboot anyway. We don't really need the extra CPU usage either since LuCI takes care of that :lol:
I started looking into a few dedicated methods to store and generate graphs, but in the end I went with Munin since it has already been done before.
I did make a few modifications, however.

I've added muninlite to the image with a munin-node script to grab stats from a cronjob-induced text file which is saved to /tmp every five minutes.
This will be used by Munin Master to generate graphs.

If you're not familiar with munin or if you're on Auld Wullies OS, or just want something dedicated for Munin to run on then I've created a VirtualBox disk which runs out of the box with Munin Master setup for you to play about with.
By default the networking on this is set to a static IP of 192.168.1.3, so once it's setup you can access your graphs at http://192.168.1.3/

Windows
1. Download VirtualBox for Windows (5.0.3)
2. Grab MuninMaster.zip (370MB) - extract and place the "Munin Master" folder in "C:\Users\%USERNAME%\VirtualBox VMs"
3. Run VirtualBox and start the Munin Master VM

You might need to change some settings before you start the VM, such as the Network Adapter (see Network > Name)

If everything has went to plan, try it out at http://192.168.1.3/ - if not, check no other machines are using this IP or check your DHCP pool range on your router.

Tips:
You might prefer the VM to run in the background to minimize resource usage. Simply go to Command Prompt and run
"C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\VBoxManage.exe" startvm "Munin Master" --type headless
You can also use this to run the VM on startup.

There won't be any GUI since it's running in the background. If you need that, just start VirtualBox and click Show. You'll be greeted with a tty prompt as there isn't any desktop. The default user & password is: root root
SSH is available, but only from other devices in your internal network.
If you want to access SSH from anywhere else other than 192.168.1.* I recommend you first change the password by running "passwd root" and then proceed to edit /etc/hosts.deny

If you want to change the IP from 192.168.1.3, simply edit the eth0 int in /etc/networking/interfaces and reload (/etc/init.d/networking restart).

Here's a demo of Munin graphing my ECI /r

I've been quite pleased with this so far. Perhaps the graphs need some more tinkering with though to make them look pretty.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2015, 01:47:06 PM by jsamuel »

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen

That's genius :D

I wonder if we could add MDWS support...

ktz392837

• Reg Member

Bought a spare ECI and going to give this a try assuming I do not break it opening case or soldering (hoping the clothes peg trick will work however).  Never done anything like this before so just getting some output via Putty whilst booting will be fun.  Main stumpling block is MDWS support as you can guarantee a problem with my line when it is not recording stats.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project

Bought a spare ECI and going to give this a try assuming I do not break it opening case or soldering (hoping the clothes peg trick will work however). 

Once you have removed the two screws, it is possible to gently persuade the lid to open by inserting a plastic implement at the long edge of the lid and levering. If you take a close look of the pictures that Ronski posted after had performed the drilling trick to get that initial /r modem open you should see where to lever and the two major clips at the short sides.

Unfortunately the "clothes peg trick" is not applicable to the B-FOCuS /r as the solder pads are in a totally different position to those of the B-FOCuS /I:no:
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 26