Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: BT Begins UK Rollout of Vectoring to Fix FTTC “Fibre Broadband” Speeds  (Read 28244 times)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen

Ha ha  To paraphrase a famous Spanish waiter .......... "I know nothing".  ;) ;D

Mark07

• Reg Member

So I sent Openreach an enquiry via that form on the superfast where and when site, asking if they could advise if my cabinet was planned for vectoring.

Got a reply saying "Great news! Your cabinet is enabled for fibre services, please contact a serice provider.." etc etc

Yeah that's great, but not what I asked, clearly scripted replies. I didn't expect a useful reply anyway if I'm honest, but thought I'd give it a shot  :D

adslmax

• Kitizen

Haha another fail from openreach for not bothered to read your message proper. 

michty_me

• Reg Member

Is there any further news on vectoring since this was last updated? Do you think it will be rolled out?

adslmax

• Kitizen

No it won't be rolled out. As openreach are doing G.fast instead.

michty_me

• Reg Member

Ok thanks for confirming.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk

No it won't be rolled out. As openreach are doing G.fast instead.

Do we know this for sure, or is that just an assumption based on the fact that they now appear to be investing more time, money & effort in g.fast rather than say upgrading the ECI cabs.  They could if they wanted use vectoring in certain areas (say the BDUK cabs) to try and get a bit more from certain lines to improve target speeds.   Im sure I read something implying that this may be considered.

caveat from me. 
Im not saying they will or wont..  but it certainly looks a bit dead right now for the ECI's at least.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

michty_me

• Reg Member

It would be quite a long time before we saw G.fast rolling out where we live I think. We only got enabled for fibre about a year and half ago.

niemand

• Kitizen

Nothing's changed from last year. A bit of vectoring here and there to get marginal punters above the local authority target. Beyond that G.fast with a heavier dose of FTTP than planned previously.

Those wondering why BT would obsolete the cabinets should remember that the Huawei kit has, from memory, 30+ gigabits of backplane capacity, can take 10Gb backhaul, and can happily function as an FTTP OLT with the addition of PON cards.

Hint hint.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project

Those wondering why BT would obsolete the cabinets should remember that the Huawei kit has, from memory, 30+ gigabits of backplane capacity, can take 10Gb backhaul, and can happily function as an FTTP OLT with the addition of PON cards.

I believe it is possible with the Huawei SmartAX MA5603T but not the smaller Huawei SmartAX MA5616. Would that agree with your general feeling?  :-\
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

ejs

• Kitizen

Are any of the stats monitoring and recording programs collecting and displaying the status of vectoring?

Dray

• Kitizen

Where is it in the router's stats?

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats

Are any of the stats monitoring and recording programs collecting and displaying the status of vectoring?

We need to know how to recognise it first. In the case of G.Inp it was the presence of Bearer 1 in the stats, but I have no idea what marker vectoring adds to the stats (if it does).
  Eric

ejs

• Kitizen

I think you need to use a specific command line switch to report the vectoring status. For the CPE modem, it's main task in the vectoring is to upload all the data the vectoring engine in the DSLAM needs. I'm not sure anything would show up in the general line stats.

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen

As mentioned in another thread, the command for a HG612 is xdslcmd info --vectoring:-

http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,14361.msg315735.html#msg315735

# xdslcmd info --vectoring
xdslcmd: ADSL driver and PHY status
Retrain Reason:   0
Last initialization procedure status:   0
Max:   Upstream rate = 4847 Kbps, Downstream rate = 21648 Kbps
Bearer:   0, Upstream rate = 4789 Kbps, Downstream rate = 22059 Kbps
Bearer:   1, Upstream rate = 0 Kbps, Downstream rate = 0 Kbps
Vectoring state: 5
VCE MAC Address: 0:0:0:0:0:0
Total error samples Ethernet pkts sent: 0
Total error samples Ethernet pkts discarded: 0