Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: BBC iplayer Is P2P And has DRM !.  (Read 3116 times)

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
BBC iplayer Is P2P And has DRM !.
« on: January 29, 2008, 10:44:31 PM »

On Windows (But Not Linux yet  :) ) the BBC iplayer uses P2P (Peer to peer)  >:D and has DRM. >:D
" Peer to peer allows internet users to transfer files directly, rather than through the use of a website or directory. File transfers are done directly from the users' computers."

It looks like if you use the player, you could be connecting P2P with other users that have already downloaded the program also others can connect (P2P) to your computer to download all or parts of the program. ( This could happen any time your on the internet !!! And your paying for it .)

If you read the small print DRM.
 "When you successfully download a programme file, part of the download is a digital rights management (DRM) licence. It's the DRM licence that recognises whether your computer is authorised to playback a programme. Occasionally a programme and its associated DRM licence don't synchronise properly and you won't be able to playback the programme and will have to try downloading again."

http://iplayersupport.external.bbc.co.uk/cgi-bin/bbciplayer.cfg/php/enduser/home.php

I'm lucky because I can block p2p at my 'Hardware' Firewall .

There is an opt out on the player under 'General' settings for windows users.
So if you do not want other people accessing your computer, I should not use the iplayer or opt out.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: BBC iplayer Is P2P And has DRM !.
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2008, 10:49:07 PM »

Well spotted, and thanks for bringing it to our attention.
  Eric

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
Re: BBC iplayer Is P2P And has DRM !.
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2008, 11:43:17 PM »

Well spotted, and thanks for bringing it to our attention.

Your welcome Eric.
I just try to help others .

Ps I should point out the iplayer is for uk use only. (BBC)
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

anything