Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: noise on linewhen i resync the router on the line i can hear the router sync and  (Read 5301 times)

• Reg Member

when i resync the router on the line i can hear the router sync and once gained sync creates a hiss, any idea what the fault could be? bt say they cant find anything wrong? Broadband is very slow
https://soundcloud.com/user790929679/noise-on-line.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats

This is probably a filter problem. First, make sure that all telephones, Sky boxes etc are connected via a filter. Assuming that they already are, then you need to change them. It would be best to change them for different types, rather than different examples of the same type.
  Eric

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project

I've had a listen to your examples and from the second I am wondering if there is an 'earth contact' fault, for that would account for 50 Hz 'mains hum' and the slow broadband.

(Query was first posted here;)  )
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

• Reg Member

how would the engineer find this, as when they arrive they do their test at the house then say they'll have a look then dont fix anything,after the first engineer visited( battery voltage was found, but engineer said there was work done in the exchange,with a tie pair?, downstream attenuation increased, upstream noise margin lowered by 7db ) that noise was only for 1 night for 4 hours then and hasn't returned since, i've heard it once or twice before but not for a constant time, also when a call was made with another house. i.e talking to a neighbour the buzzing dissapeared. could it be an exchange fault?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project

From your latest description it is clear that there is at least one intermittent defect with your metallic pathway.  :-\

How would an engineer find it? With extensive, careful testing.

If there is any form of noise present when only a wired telephone is connected directly to the test socket of the NTE5/A, then it should be reported to whoever it is that provides your telephony service. When reporting the line noise, do not mention the broadband service.

Once the defect(s) are repaired so that the telephony service is provided within specification, then the broadband service should recover without any intervention.

You have not, so far, mentioned it . . . From whom do you obtain your telephony service and from whom do you obtain your broadband service?

• Reg Member

Bt for both landline and broadband, all I want is for the fault to be fixed, their test equipment may not find a fault but the noise on the phone with the router is present, which can be heard! Could it be when the tie pair was modified?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project

Could it be when the tie pair was modified?

May be. Or not.  :-\

I really cannot fault-find this issue without having access to your pair!  ::)

Perhaps Black Sheep will add a comment, when he reads this thread . . .

The black Mamba

Hi
If you think there is a line fault connect a phone to the main incoming I/ plate socket this phone that you use must have a transmission cut off button , then dial the noise test number and listen. If this is clear with no noise if possible use a Mobil or second line to call you this may bring on the noise earth/ battery fault plus low insulation when the weather is wet and damp.    Repeat this at different times of the day. If you get noise report it to you ISP stating the facts and testing results.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen

As per some of the comments above, firstly ensure your installation is correctly filtered, if so, then determine if the same conditions exist at the test socket of the NTE5 (Master Socket).

Once you have proved the fault to be present at the test socket, then you are well within your rights to request an engineering visit.

Now for the tricky bit. This kind of fault is definitely a miniscule HR (High Resistance) causing the hissing noise. The problem is, they are usually so small that even our on-site testers fail to spot most of them, let alone the remote test systems our front desks utilise. As such, the chances are that when you try and raise a fault the subsequent test the advisor will run will return a LTOK (Line Tests OK). They may even run a higher-grade CIDT test (Copper Integrated Digital Test), but again, I would suggest that this too will return a LTOK.

Next, it depends on what type of fault is built (Network or Broadband) and the skill level of the engineer. I'll leave it to others to enlighten you on this hot potato.  ;) ;D But IMO, you need a broadband engineer, as this type of fault usually requires network intervention (PCP, DP), with both the tester connected in DSL mode and listening for the 'hiss' with our 'Tappers'. A non-broadband engineer would not be able to simulate this scenario.

Good luck.

• Reg Member

https://soundcloud.com/user790929679/buzzing-crackle
had this noise on the line last night, the noise would disappear if i listened to the quiet line test, was only there when a button was pressed to remove the dial tone, similar to the noise of earth contact, still bt say there is nothing wrong.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project

There is definitely something wrong.  :(  Exactly what or where, that is the problem.  :-\

If that recording has been made from a wired telephone connected directly to the test socket of the NTE5/A (with nothing else connected) then you have a defective (telephony) service. The entity to whom you pay for your telephony service should apply pressure to Openreach for the defect to be remedied.

That is not something which any of us could fix via remote access.  :-X

• Reg Member

it only lasted for about 30mins, then disapeared, could it be when a neighbour is using their phone, as the times its happened, the weather has been different?

• Reg Member

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project

?

:-\

How long is a piece of string?  ::)  I am not sure what you would like me -- or anyone else -- to type.  ???

I could certainly speculate from now until the end of time but it will not make any difference. As I have mentioned earlier in this thread, without physical access to the pair -- and, thus, being able to connect various items of test equipment to it -- there is nothing that any of us can suggest or do.  :no: