Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Connection Speed Drop  (Read 10063 times)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Connection Speed Drop
« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2013, 03:59:36 PM »

Your latest unfortunate experience is due to you being a subscriber to a Beattie Retail service. Her 'front line, level 1, customer support staff' are nothing but script reading numpties.  :-X

Regarding the statement "A hard network fault has been found and so this case will be sent to suppl", I interpret its meanning as try as hard as they can, they cannot deny that there is a problem with your service. Accordingly they have passed their findings to either Beattie Wholesale or Openreach for investigation and, thus, hope to have 'washed their hands of the problem'.  :-\
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

JamesK

• Reg Member
« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2013, 10:14:53 AM »

Hi All,

I finally had a visit from BT Openreach yesterday. I really couldn't fault the guy that turned up, he spent over 2 hours with me trying different things. He started by doing a line test from my master socket on the top floor. This showed no errors on the line and said all the figures coming back showed no faults. He then got DLM reset. This had the immediate impact of bumping the speed back up to 31mbps, so I was happy.

He then decided to have a look at the service cable, and do some tests on it. He said it showed a slight 'dip' about 15m from the house. With that he found the distribution point in the pavement and pulled all that out. He straight away found a load of cabling trapped in the side of the clamshell type casing. He said the jelly crimp for my line wasn't in the best condition so he replaced that for me. He then checked the speed directly from the the grey box and found the speed was 44mbps.

On re-connecting my master socket the speed had increased to about 32mbps. So I was even happier. However, he wasn't done. Next he wanted to see how fast the original master socket performed on the ground floor in the kitchen. We were getting 38mbps from that socket. I was really surprised. As it's not practical to have a router in the kitchen we tried leaving the modem there and using Devolo 500mbps Homeplugs to link the modem and router together. While this worked, the speed for some reason wasn't great (24/25mbps). I'm sure it's because the mains wiring on the ground floor of my house is on a different circuit to the middle and top floors.

So reluctantly we had to re-connect the master socket upstairs in the house. He was very surprised I was getting around 6mbps speed loss on that run of cable from the front of the house up to the master socket in the office. Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to grab any modem stats while it was running in the kitchen, but the engineer said he thought the reason the bins weren't more loaded in the range 100-500 tone range was because of the house cabling going up to the office.

He recommended if possible in the future to use the master socket in the kitchen. So I'll probably need to find a way of running some ethernet into the kitchen, which is do-able.

My only concern was that with the all connecting of different kit to the service line the active pair has got really short. I don't actually think I could cut off the existing jelly crimps and get new ones on the cable without cutting away some of the black jacket protecting all of the wires in that service feed.

Would I be better off asking BT to come back out and swap over the active pair on the service feed?

Any thoughts on anything I can do to find out what could be causing such a large loss on a relatively small run of cabling in the house?

Cheers... James

Virgin M500+Asus RT-AX86U

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #32 on: September 05, 2013, 07:45:39 PM »

he spent over 2 hours with me trying different things..  /snip/.. We were getting 38mbps from that socket

Excellent  ;D

but the engineer said he thought the reason the bins weren't more loaded in the range 100-500 tone range was

Which tells me that you got a damn decent engineer, not all engineers are even aware of bitloading.  The guy I got yesterday was fascinated with DSLstats and wished that BT issued them with something similar.   Yes I know they can get figures on the JDSU, but its hard to see things like bitloading on the tiny screen.

Would I be better off asking BT to come back out and swap over the active pair on the service feed

iirc your wiring was quite complicated, so I'd need to go back and re-read to make sure Im speaking correctly...  but.....

if possible in the future to use the master socket in the kitchen

what happens if you just connect a cat5 run laid losely over the carpet etc, just as a test..  if the results are much better..  then you know its worth laying properly.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

JamesK

• Reg Member
« Reply #33 on: September 05, 2013, 08:19:05 PM »

I definitely consider myself lucky with the engineer I got.

The problem I've got is that the service feed outside the house now has hardly any cable for me to attach a jelly crimp to. Where the engineer was playing around so much with different things he cut the cable and jelly crimped several times progressively making it shorter.

So if I cut off the existing jelly crimp to crimp the other wire coming out of the house (coming from the master socket in the kitchen) I don't think there'll be enough cable to attach the new jelly crimp to.... unless I cut away some of the black sheathing around the service cable.

There are plenty of other wires coming out of the service cable itself (as you'll see in my previous pictures), but obviously they won't be connected to anything in the distribution point. So wasn't sure what to do really.
Virgin M500+Asus RT-AX86U

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #34 on: September 05, 2013, 08:38:15 PM »

My bug-bear !!! I always extend the 'active pair' if it's getting down to the cable butt. It only takes seconds. Equally, removing the outer cable-sheathing takes literally seconds to achieve, thus ensuring what you are calling the 'active pair' (commonly known as the 'feed'), is sufficient in length.

As you aren't supposed to be messing with this side of the network ..........a) I wouldn't request OR return to put your circuit onto another spare pair of wires in the black cable, and b) They wouldn't do that anyway, they'd just carry out the action/s I suggested at the start.

If you're hell-bent on making the kitchen as the master socket, then could you not cut the pair further up on the existing wire, feeding the upstairs master socket ?? Hard to put across in words, but instead of cutting it at the crimps like you say, cut it nearer the butt of the cable going to the socket upstairs and then you'll have enough to patch through to the 2 wires feeding the socket in the kitchen. It means you'll have 2 crimps on each wire (4 in total), but you'll be able to achieve what you want.
Pages: 1 2 [3]