Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Wifi extender  (Read 11448 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Wifi extender
« on: April 27, 2013, 05:35:36 PM »

Anyone ever used one of these or other suggestions please

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Huawei-WS320-Wi-Fi-Repeater/dp/B007SU0BJU/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1367079706&sr=1-1&keywords=wireless+extender+homeplug+huwawei

Huawei Wi-Fi Repeater
Main router = Dlink, but wifi signal is poor in conservatory, need a simple setup.

They seem cheap when compared to traditional powerline adapters anyone foresee any problems with it?
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
Re: Wifi extender
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2013, 05:52:34 PM »

Added :-  This may be a better choice?

TP-Link TL-WA850RE 300Mbps Universal Wall Plug Range Extender £28.06.

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

ColinS

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2013, 07:18:12 PM »

Anyone ever used one of these or other suggestions please

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Huawei-WS320-Wi-Fi-Repeater/dp/B007SU0BJU/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1367079706&sr=1-1&keywords=wireless+extender+homeplug+huwawei

Huawei Wi-Fi Repeater
Main router = Dlink, but wifi signal is poor in conservatory, need a simple setup.

They seem cheap when compared to traditional powerline adapters anyone foresee any problems with it?

Yes, I have one of these.  Used it initially to extend the range of a plusnet TG582n from near the master socket, through several solid walls to where we normally use our laptops, when we went VDSL.  As I recall it, strength of the TG582n on its own at that range (~15-20m) was ~-69dB, and with the repeater ~-47dB.  It is easy to configure, and once configured can be moved to any convenient power socket, so it's quite flexible in that respect.  Works without issue, although TBH with VDSL rates other parts of my wifi infrastructure were under strain and there were a lot of retransmissions.  For ADSL2+ though there ought to be no such problems.  In the end (for VDSL), I reverted to the distributed filtering (dongles) scheme.  The loss of ~2-3Mb/s attainable (which was above the 80/20 cap anyhow) was a good tradeoff against the wireless throughput.  It is physically tiny - much smaller than you would imagine, and with the ethernet port could be used as a wifi bridge.

Powerline adapters have their own problems, not least of which is that many of them are massive REIN generators as they use significant power levels during transmissions.

Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 11:37:13 PM by ColinS »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2013, 07:45:32 PM »

Thank you for the reply Colin. Appreciated :)

Can I just check that you are talking about the Huawei.  I ask because I dont see mention of an ethernet port on that product.

>> and with the ethernet port could be used as a wifi bridge.

See above ^ ... This is one of the reasons why I wondered if the TPlink may be a better option.
-----

ColinS

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2013, 08:03:10 PM »

Thank you for the reply Colin. Appreciated :)

Can I just check that you are talking about the Huawei.  I ask because I dont see mention of an ethernet port on that product.

>> and with the ethernet port could be used as a wifi bridge.

See above ^ ... This is one of the reasons why I wondered if the TPlink may be a better option.

Sorry, Kitz, you are absolutely right. :-[ Must have had a senior moment there, because I did look at that one, but in the end plumped for this one instead: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Edimax-EW-7438RPN-Universal-Wi-Fi-Extender/dp/B00794RDVY/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1367089227&sr=1-1&keywords=edimax+ew-7438rpn
so all my comments apply to that one.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2013, 08:33:31 PM »

Thanks again Colin.   Something I just spotted, this seems to be a 2 pin continental product.  Can you confirm this is the case, as it may well confuse matters for who its for.  The blurb doesnt make this clear... and if it is the case then the TPlink may be the better option?

Appreciating your replies :)
-----

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2013, 10:53:36 PM »

As I recall it, strength of the TG582n on its own at that range (~15-20m) was ~-69dB, and with the repeater ~47dB
Forgive my ignorance one more! How does one measure the strength at a distant spot from router?

ColinS

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2013, 10:55:47 PM »

Thanks again Colin.   Something I just spotted, this seems to be a 2 pin continental product.  Can you confirm this is the case, as it may well confuse matters for who its for.  The blurb doesnt make this clear... and if it is the case then the TPlink may be the better option?

Appreciating your replies :)
The photos are very misleading, I have seen them.  I've found that before on Amazon, they use any old photo, which doesn't inspire confidence.  I only gave you the Amazon link because it seemed that's where you were looking.  I actually got mine off of Ebay because it was cheaper.  But it is certainly a UK model. 

It's an all-in-one unit with a UK moulded plug, and marked as such on the box from US/EU/AU/UK/TW/CN/
Here's an old link, but it might start you off http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HUAWEI-WS320-WLAN-REPEATER-MINI-WIFI-RANGE-EXTENDER-/390542140277?pt=UK_Computing_Boosters_Extenders_Antennas&hash=item5aee202375
[Edit] Sorry, I told you I originally looked at the Huawei too!! Try this instead http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EDIMAX-EW-7438RPN-WIRELESS-N-802-11-300MBPS-WIFI-REPEATER-RANGE-EXTENDER-/330777706038?pt=UK_Computing_Boosters_Extenders_Antennas&hash=item4d03e33e36. It says it has a UK plug on the listing.
So there most definately are UK models available, I guess you just have to find a seller who has the right picture to give you confidence!!  :)

You can see all the details at the UK Edimax site, including a newer firmware that I applied. http://www.edimax.co.uk/en/produce_detail.php?pd_id=361&pl1_id=1&pl2_id=84

Of course the TP-Link is probably very similar and every bit as good.  :)
« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 11:17:16 PM by ColinS »

ColinS

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2013, 11:02:59 PM »

As I recall it, strength of the TG582n on its own at that range (~15-20m) was ~-69dB, and with the repeater ~47dB
Forgive my ignorance one more! How does one measure the strength at a distant spot from router?

The Wifi connection software/configurer I use (Odyssey) reports signal strengths as received by the wifi board in my laptop (as do others tools like inSSIDer).  It must use some built in comparator for reference, so you could probably say that it should be regarded only as relative to all the other signals it sees. 

So, while these may not be scientifically measured absolute values it is clear to see that the repeater provides a stronger signal (simply because it is physically closer and retransmitting whatever it receives between the two endpoints i.e. the router and my laptop).  :)
« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 11:35:29 PM by ColinS »

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2013, 01:32:11 PM »

Cant find anything about Odyssey with Google search.

Not much on wifi here unless our children and partners come to stay, and most times it works perfectly. But there are a few times at the house peripheries it can be patchy. Can Inssider or Odyssey be made to work with such as IPad/ IPod?

ColinS

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2013, 01:51:13 PM »

Cant find anything about Odyssey with Google search.

Not much on wifi here unless our children and partners come to stay, and most times it works perfectly. But there are a few times at the house peripheries it can be patchy. Can Inssider or Odyssey be made to work with such as IPad/ IPod?
Hi Renluop.  There's nothing special about this, it's just a wireless access client that I got (for free at the time) with a Fujitsu laptop.  The developers have since sold out to a bigger corporate, who want money for it, so I wouldn't recommend it for the purpose you have in mind, but here's a link to it anyway http://www.juniper.net/us/en/products-services/software/ipc/odyssey-access-client/

But here's another link instead to the inSSIDer for Mac tool http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider-for-mac/.  I don't know about the Mac version, but for (e.g. for) Windows there is a basic tool that probably does everything you need for free, and a payable 'professional' version with all the bells and whistles.  It will definately show you how 'lonely' you (usually) are in Wifi terms - a good thing really  ;D  Here, I'm awash with other people's routers and Sky boxes. I can even detect (but they would be barely usuable) free wifi signals in cafe's etc over and down the road a bit! ;)  One thing inSSIDer is good for in those circumstances is showing which Wifi channels everyone's boxes are using, and their relative strengths.  Simply moving away from the defaults used by most people can do a lot to reduce wifi interference.

Hope this is of some interest to you.  :)  Obviously, a wifi extender may well help your problems with wifi 'cold' spots, if properly sited.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 02:03:03 PM by ColinS »

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2013, 04:57:47 PM »

Situation normal I'm confused! :o  :-[ But I don't see the connection of my posts with a tool for Mac, myself being a Windows user.

ColinS

• Reg Member
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2013, 06:41:00 PM »

Situation normal I'm confused! :o  :-[ But I don't see the connection of my posts with a tool for Mac, myself being a Windows user.
I think perhaps it's me that's confused Renluop, sorry.  :( I mistakenly thought you wanted to try to run inSSIDer on an iPAD, and as it's out of my knowledge domain, I thought that the Mac version might have been a better starting place than a Windows version for an iPAD?  But what do I know about that?  :no:  :-[

You can run inSSIDer for free on Windows.  It will tell you relative wireless strengths, if that's what you're interested in.  By walking around with that on your laptop, then I would imagine you'd be able to identify (or rather confirm) the location and extent (lack of strength of signal) of your wifi around the house.  Perhaps that might help you to identify whether a range extender would be of any benefit to you and where it might be best located if you thought it was of value.

[Edit] If you meant 'would the wireless extender work with and iPad/iPod' then I believe so.  Any device should be able to connect wirelessly to it in exactly the same way that it could connect wirelessly e.g. to your router (whatever that way is, on an iPad/iPod ;))!

Happy to take this offline if you want to PM me.  ;D
« Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 06:49:19 PM by ColinS »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2013, 06:52:36 PM »

Colin, what worried me was some of the reviews which stated they came with a continental 2 pin plug.  Looking a bit further it would seem that the seller admitted that it is sometimes shipped with the 2 pin and it could be a bit of a gamble :(

Looking at the Edimax site:-

EW-7438RPn = Built-in 5V, 1A power module
EW-7238RPD = Built-in AC100-240V, 0.16A 50-60Hz power module

So in theory I should be looking for the EW-7438RPn ?   The person concerned wont buy from ebay, so I need to stick with Amazon.  I need to let them know this evening - so I may say the TPlink as it may be easier all round.

Thanks again for your help and advice - most appreciated :)
-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2013, 06:53:14 PM »

Happy to take this offline if you want to PM me.  ;D

By all means continue in here, if you like because it is kind of relevant to the topic, so I dont mind.
-----
Pages: [1] 2

anything