Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Does router chipset matter?  (Read 2487 times)

xreyuk

• Reg Member
Does router chipset matter?
« on: April 25, 2013, 10:32:07 PM »

Hey guys,

I have a question surrounding chipsets on routers and DSLAMs/MSANs.

I have heard two theories about whether it is better to have them matching, or aiming for a certain chipset depending on the length of the line.

I have been told that if you have a short line, trendchip based modems tend to be the best, and longer lines are best using a broadcom. However, I have also read that rather than trying to choose a chip based on distance, you should try and match your chipset to that of the exchange equipment.

I'm on O2/Be* but moving to Sky, and wondered what chipsets both of these companies use.

Thanks a lot.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Does router chipset matter?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2013, 08:06:49 PM »

Its always been said that matching the chipsets should return the best results.   Many people would swear by this, but I'm not aware of anything official which would back this up.

>> if you have a short line, trendchip based modems tend to be the best,

I have a very short line and tend to find its not just down to the chipset.   Broadcom seems to work best on mine..  but individual routers come into play too ie ST/TG routers without doubt seem to give me better results, than some other BDCM based routers.   At the end of the day things can only be generalised and each line has its own quirks so you may just have to experiment.

Be's MSANs use BDCM

I believe Skys MSANs also use BDCM

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

xreyuk

• Reg Member
Re: Does router chipset matter?
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2013, 09:49:12 PM »

Hi Kitz,

Thanks for the information :)