Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Guinea pigs wanted please  (Read 12702 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Guinea pigs wanted please
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2012, 09:11:36 PM »

>>> Wouldn't it be good to have a database of exact locations for BT exchanges that you could access?

There is - kindly provided by Sam :)  I then convert its postal code to a geo-location lat/long, but its well known that gmap doesnt cope very well with uk postal codes and the area can be a bit vague. :/

I still need to do quite a bit of tweeking when it comes to the actual map and placing the images on another layer.  Trying to find decent instructions on how to use the api v3 is like a needle in a haystack and most tutorials are for v2 and nothing like the new maps app.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2012, 09:12:21 PM »

No mention of Digital Region being available,there is on SamKnows  ???

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2012, 09:20:23 PM »

I was thinking of something more exact than a postcode, since Google (and Nokia Maps) translates the postcode of my exchange to the wrong end of a mile long road.

(It's actually harder to be wrong, whilst being on the correct road - the exchange is mere feet from the top junction of the road, the postcode appears to place it mere feet from the bottom junction, which is a mile away)

Ian

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2012, 11:44:14 PM »

Im concentrating on being able to return distance information between home and exchange and the google map info.

Thank you very much every one for your feedback, Im happy that the road distance calculation is going to work as good as it can and this is now live, which should hopefully make a few people happy again. :)

adsl checker

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

Browni

• Reg Member
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2012, 11:45:52 PM »

Seems fine here Kitz.

Home & exchange locations accurate & distance seems fine.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2012, 11:47:25 PM »

Im running the latest API and theres nothing available (nor any mention of) Digital Region. :(

I have however hacked something together.  If you would like to do the honours and test it, because they're not available near here, but it seems to work on a few random pizza shops in sheffield. :D

-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2012, 12:00:30 AM »

I was thinking of something more exact than a postcode, since Google (and Nokia Maps) translates the postcode of my exchange to the wrong end of a mile long road.

(It's actually harder to be wrong, whilst being on the correct road - the exchange is mere feet from the top junction of the road, the postcode appears to place it mere feet from the bottom junction, which is a mile away)

Ian

I understand where youre coming from, but I would always be reliant on the Google api, which makes it rather awkward, because of their limitations :/

The new api is awful - and although it works fine with javascript (client side) thats no use if you are trying to interact with server side information and customise sending in your own variables and parameters server side such as with php.   The documentation is appalling - in many instances theres nothing, which is why its taken so long to actually be able to do something for the distance calculation v3 api (you cannot pass javascript to any server side language).

Im still not happy with the actual map image and Ive reverted back to v2 whilst Im trying to figure out a way to implement their v3 version before v2 becomes fully deprecated :(
-----

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2012, 08:57:42 AM »

Im running the latest API and theres nothing available (nor any mention of) Digital Region. :(

I have however hacked something together.  If you would like to do the honours and test it, because they're not available near here, but it seems to work on a few random pizza shops in sheffield. :D

I see Digital Region as available now............but how long do I have to stay in Halal Southern Fried Pizza.. :lol:
Pages: 1 [2]