Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Slow PC on the network.  (Read 13864 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Slow PC on the network.
« on: July 12, 2012, 07:46:37 PM »

Since using the TG582n I noticed that things were sluggish and seemed slow almost like DNS issues and sometimes pages just timed out.   However I thought I would look at things properly when I got the new PC.

But now things are even worse.   I just cant seem to get anything much above 500kbps, so I think theres 2 different issues here.  1) the general DNS type sluggishness.  2).  I now have have a major problem with the new PC. 

These are the things Ive tried so far.

Network:-

Different DNS servers. 
Static/Dynamic Network IP.
Swapped Network Cables.
Installed new cable between router and phone socket.

Speedtest via ipad (wireless) 16.5Mbps down, 2Mbps up
Speedtest on an old XP laptop, using the same network cable and same port on the switch shows 18Mbps down  2.2Mbps up
Speedtest on Win7 machine, using the same network cable and same port on switch <500kbps down 2Mbps up

PC:-
Disabled AV and Firewalls.
Updated drivers
Latest versions of Java/Flash etc
Tried Dynamic and Static IP.   Tried different DNS
Run tests in Safemode with networking, still getting slow speeds <512Kbps
Transferring over the network is also slow <512kbps

Network Adapter:-
Atheros AR8151 PCI-E Gigabit (NDIS 6.20)

Disabled:-
Flow Control
Interupt Moderation
Jumbo FRames

Code: [Select]
C:\Users\kitz>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : i7
   Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . :
   Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
   IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
   WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
   Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Atheros AR8151 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Con
troller (NDIS 6.20)
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 50-E5-49-EE-D9-4E
   DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
   Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
   Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::b0b5:e305:8c17:ab5b%11(Preferred)
   IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1(Preferred)
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254
   DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 240182601
   DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-17-84-77-EE-50-E5-49-EE-D9-4E

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 8.8.8.8
   NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Tunnel adapter isatap.{7C99724B-CE6E-4C19-AE8F-282853257B28}:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
   Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0

Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
   IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2001:0:5ef5:79fb:202d:1779:b196:8ca7(Pref
erred)
   Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::202d:1779:b196:8ca7%15(Preferred)
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : ::
   NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: Slow PC on the network.
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2012, 08:23:05 PM »

Not sure what's at the other end of the wire but, as an experiment, would there be any point forcing the adapter to 100mbps, to stop it negotiating gigabit?

Reason I ask is symptoms are not that far removed from when my own gigabit router was sick, the error rates with gigabit were basically so phenomenal that every packet was needing to retransmitted, maybe several times.  And each one was waiting for the acknowledgement timeout, leading to the kind of speeds you describe.

Forcing 100mbps restored tolerable behaviour until I was able to repair the ethernet switch (faulty capacitors).

Not sure how you check ethernet error counters with Windows?

asbokid

• Kitizen
    • Hacking the 2Wire
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2012, 08:32:27 PM »

Boot from a Linux live CD, maybe? Just to rule out faulty hardware in the PC?  Perhaps a NIC driver problem?

I had (an unrelated) DNS problem. Isn't it typical that when something goes wrong, so often it is simultaneous to some change you made, just to throw you off the scent!

Being incapable of remembering IP addresses, Google's nameserver ( 8.8.8.8 ) always comes in handy. It has worked flawlessly for years.  Yet in recent days it ground to a halt, with resolution now taking 10 seconds or more.  That had me shaking all the cables!

EDIT: (viz SLM's post).. I never noticed before that ipconfig in Windows is missing all ethernet error counters that Linux has in ifconfig:

Code: [Select]
$ /sbin/ifconfig eth0

eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 14:fe:b5:a2:42:e7 
          inet addr:192.168.1.2  Bcast:192.168.1.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
          inet6 addr: fe80::16fe:b5ff:fea2:42e7/64 Scope:Link
          UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:1199358 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:873174 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
          RX bytes:1396641616 (1.3 GiB)  TX bytes:145754215 (139.0 MiB)
          Interrupt:41 Base address:0x6000

cheers, a
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 08:57:48 PM by asbokid »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2012, 08:49:43 PM »

>> Yet in recent days it ground to a halt, with resolution now taking 10 seconds or more. 

hmmm  that could be the reason why DNS type issues, Ive been switching between Be's and Googles, and they are both as bad as each other.

Ive since also disabled Windows autotuning - which took me up to a heady 1Mbps!

@ 7LM

Thankyou !!!!     forcing my NIC to 100Mbps immediately  resulted in the following.

So unsure where to go next.. because that means my gigabit network is now out of the question..   ???

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2012, 08:51:52 PM »

In XP/Vista/7 you can use Performance Monitor to see all sorts of network stats in real time.

Open Performance Monitor (it's under Administrative tools) and click the "+" icon near the top, you can then choose "network interface" and under there, you'll find various sub items like bytes/sec , packets received errors etc etc.

It does seem like there's something funny with the NIC, either software or hardware.

Were the other computers configured for Jumbo Frames as well?  Might try turning that off, for internet related activity I don't think that's any help at all.

Ian

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2012, 08:53:20 PM »

>>> And each one was waiting for the acknowledgement timeout,

hmmm  thats just made me think of something else..   goes to play for a few mins.

>>> Open Performance Monitor (it's under Administrative tools) and click the "+" icon near the top, you can then choose "network interface" and under there, you'll find various sub items like bytes/sec , packets received errors etc etc.

Thank you will be back when Ive had a play.

>>> Were the other computers configured for Jumbo Frames as well

Id already turned it off as I dont seem to see any benefits from it.
-----

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2012, 09:03:48 PM »

EDIT: (viz SLM's post).. I never noticed before that ipconfig in Windows is missing all ethernet error counters that Linux has in ifconfig:

I was also surprised by that, realised it myself quite recently.  Always thought it was there, so either it's been removed at some point, or my memory is playing tricks and I'm confusing it with a VAX running VMS :)

There is a registry edit that adds a simple error count underneath the bytes sent/received display when you view the status of a network connection, but having just tried this, it doesn't seem to work for Win7, though I do use it on XP.

Brief description of it here :

http://www.pcwintech.com/show-lan-errors

(despite that page claiming it's ok for Win7, it doesn't seem to have an effect on my Win7 system, but does what it claims to on XP)

Ian

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2012, 09:23:48 PM »

Took the NIC back to gigabit and immediately speeds dropped to 1Mbps - which is where I was at when Id disabled Windows auto-tuning.

Ive enabled ECN, which is supposed to help with congestion and retransmission. but that doesnt make any difference.

Not quite sure what Im doing with the performance monitor yet.   I opened it up and its just showing a garbled mess of about 50 lines..  guess I need to tweak it
-----

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2012, 09:47:02 PM »

Quite apart from the fact that my own gigabit got sick for a while, I have found some inconsistencies in gigabit connectivity.

Specifically, the Mac Mini will negotiate Gigabit with some of the ports on my network switch, dropping back to 100mbps on others.  The windows PC, as well as other half's work lappie, are happy with gigabit on all ports, and will achieve transfer speeds to prove it, well over 300mbps sustained for disk to disk transfer.

My XP box has a clever trick, if you can find it in device manager, and that is the 'cable test' function.  It worked well, and not only told me I'd messed up  but accurately estimated the distance to a cable fault I'd created when wiring the house a few years ago.  Can't remember what the chip in that box is, but it was a neat trick.

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2012, 09:48:04 PM »

Not quite sure what Im doing with the performance monitor yet.   I opened it up and its just showing a garbled mess of about 50 lines..  guess I need to tweak it

Sounds like you've added all of the network interface items, of which there are a lot.  You can remove them with the "-" button, then carefully select only the network interface items you want to watch, such as transmit errors, receive errors etc.

Perfmon is a bit odd to get used to, but can be very powerful, and there's an awful lot it can monitor, and tell you a lot if you understand it.  (which I don't pretend to do!)

Ian

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2012, 10:40:02 PM »

If all else fails, you could get a PCI ethernet card such as http://www.ebuyer.com/232654-edimax-gigabit-ethernet-pci-adapter-en-9235tx-32
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2012, 11:05:56 PM »

>>> device manager, and that is the 'cable test' function

Unfortunately I dont seem to be able to find that.

>> If all else fails, you could get a PCI ethernet card such

Thanks eric...   annoying as it is on a new system, I think that may be what I have to do.   However Im not home much over the next week to take delivery of anything so unless I can get something cheap at PEECEE world then it may have to wait.  You dont expect to see problems like this on a new build so not happy.

>>  Sounds like you've added all of the network interface items

After playing with it for a while I realised it had added the network interfaces Id asked, but by default it had added in every single detail about my CPU..   There was nearly a 100 of them to delete.  No wonder it looked such a garbled mess.

Anyhow fired it up whilst performing a speedtest..  and these are the results...  not really sure how to interpret them, other than to say theres a lot of dropped packets.

On the graph the large M shape is during the upstream part of the test.

-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2012, 11:36:52 PM »

There is a registry edit that adds a simple error count underneath the bytes sent/received display when you view the status of a network connection, but having just tried this, it doesn't seem to work for Win7, though I do use it on XP.

Brief description of it here :

http://www.pcwintech.com/show-lan-errors

(despite that page claiming it's ok for Win7, it doesn't seem to have an effect on my Win7 system, but does what it claims to on XP)

Ian

According to this, "64-bit system, it is DWORD (32-bit) value."
Which appears to work for my 64 bit system.
-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2012, 12:12:31 AM »

Somethings b0rked somewhere and Ive no idea..   
This PC yet again has lost connection with anything else on the network.   It doesnt see the lappy if attached nor does it see the NAS box..  Yet other machines can see it.   

Oh well..  I messed most of last night with the network, and Ive been messing with this again tonight.  I was hoping to get it fixed today, but I have hospital/medical appts tomorrow and am out all day..  and then not here this weekend.  ( ^-^ kitteh  :D) so I guess it will have to wait a bit longer.

Thank you everyone for your input so far, if anyone else has any other ideas please do say and I'll pick up when I can.

Just a final thought, could it be anything to do with either my switch,  which Im sure was fine before - or at least seemed to be with the old PC..  and could my router have anything to do with it?
Bearing in mind its been since I connected the technicolor that I noticed the sluggishness - but that could be google/Be DNS..  Im unfortunately out of time now to do any more testing tonight.

-----

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2012, 08:04:41 AM »

Sounds like a dodgy switch to me, I had a Netgear GigE switch go in much the same way.

Go get iperf and test between the XP lappie and the Win7 box. The default settings on iperf won't get you much over 200Mbps on a GigE network (you need to tweak to max it) but they should be consistent on all ports of the switch.
Pages: [1] 2

anything