Andrews and Arnold are just a joy. I thought I'd write a bit about the state of things here at WeaverTech City nowadays and my experience of AA.
[I don't have any connection with them other than being an ordinary happy customer.]
I have now got twin-line bonded ADSL going, with packet-by-packet weighted load balancing outbound and inbound, using a Firebrick FB2500 at my end to do the outbound load balancing as well as its usual router and firewall duties. I have two BTw 20CN phone lines, there's no sign of any LLU anywhere round here yet.
To do the actual ADSL end of things, I have two trusty old Netgear DG834v3s, set to act as pure bridging PPPoEoA to PPPoe between phone lines and two of the Ethernet ports on the Firebrick. Each DG834v3 was set to be a straight ethernet modem, as opposed to a router by using the undocumented magic URL command, whose effects are persistent.
Speed. One line is on the 2MBps BRAS profile (I think), the other line on 1.75Mbps. Measured throughput is sometimes over 3.5 Mbps, sometimes a supposed 3.9 very occasionally 4.1-4.3 Mbps. This could b due to th tool (tenmeg test download site) applying some conversion factor that is a bit excessive. Sync rate on line #1 is incredibly high, something slightly over 2500 for 6dB SNRM on this 63DB attn line. This is not nearly enough to get me to the 2.5Mbps profile, so it's 2Mbps for line one all the time as far as I can see. Line #2 has not yet made it to 2000 profile as far as I am aware, maybe I need to work on that a bit, or need to swap out that modem for a better individual one from out of the heap I keep. For some reason AA report line #1 as 2.25 MBps profile and line #2 as 1.97. I didn't know there was a 2.25Mbps BRAS profile, maybe there is and maybe there isn't, but it's not on the excellent table on this site.
And I have native IPv6 which is very very nice! I have, for some reason, 2 /48s and a couple of /64s. It's turned out to be incredibly useful in ways that I never expected. If you are fiddling around with all things things IPv4 reconfiguring stuff or are required to temporarily set yourself to 192.168.x.x/16 for initial config access, you can still use ipv6 to the Internet and google stuff or get settings from AA's website, which is just so handy.
AA VoIP. I think I have now also got VoIP working reasonably well, but needs proper stress-testing. It's an AA SIP /RTP service with an AA phone number which costs about £1 per month. Calls are about 1.5p per minute in peak hours, see AA website for tariff chart. H/w is a Siemens Gigaset DECT base station plus two handsets. On reflection I wish I had found a unit that speaks 802.11 to the handsets, so as to avoid the possibility of trouble with DECT-generated interference with my two existing 2.4GHz WLANs plus an existing POTS DECT phone. Config of the basestation was a real pain as I had no clue what I was doing and needed a lot of handholding, that plus getting firewall design right on the Firebrick and the whole thing took a lot of time to get going.
Now I'm fiddling about with wireless access points, a pain. I'd love to find a rock solid _5GHz_ MIMO 80211n access point.
AA are just superb. I ran out of IP addresses, so I chatted to them on IRC and they just moved my LAN to a new double-size address block right there and then, boomph. Wow.
This is a shameless plug for A&A, but like I say, I have no connection at all with AA, and I'd just like to tell you all about a series of occasions when things have gone right, since we usually discuss things that have gone wrong.